Monday, August 8, 2011

Grass Fire

Up until this year, I have never seen a grass fire.  I remember hearing about them on the news years ago, but this year with the severe drought as widespread as it is in Texas, there have been numerous grass fires.  Back in late spring or early summer I saw local news footage of a grass fire taken from a helicopter.  That particular fire came near an elementary school, and the fire fighters were quick to douse the fire in that area.  Then it threatened a gas station, which could have caused a major explosion.  Again, the fire fighters stopped it from reaching the fire station.  They also stopped the fire from reaching a neighborhood.  Watching the fire, it amazed me just how powerful they are.  It was as if the fire fighters couldn't stop the fire-they could only slow it down some.  When the wind picked up, it just spread "like wildfire" (I see where that phrase comes from now). Eventually, after a long time, the fire was put out.

Not too long after that I witnessed my first grass fire.  I was on my way home from a road trip to Tennessee, and was only about 20 minutes from home.  I could see the smoke miles and miles before I got to it.


As I got nearer I realized it was a grass fire.  It was in a neighborhood, although I could not tell if homes were burning or not-I guessed not since I didn't see any black smoke.  The fire burned all the way to the edge of the highway.  I kept on driving-as did all the cars around me, although incredibly slowly.  Visibility was especially low.  Here is a picture from right before the smoke got really thick.  I could only see about one car length in front of me.
I have seen two grass fires since then (including one today), though neither of them were as bad as this one was.  My heart breaks for those whose homes are in danger, and for the farmers whose crops and livestock are in danger.  We are praying for rain to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment