Friday, August 26, 2011

Chicken Parmesan

I have to say I was a tiny bit intimidated by the thought of making Chicken Parmesan.  When I order it out, and it comes on the plate at restaurants, it's looks so pretty and well-prepared.  But when trying to come up with 2 weeks worth of recipes, I was looking for a variety of foods that I thought we would all like, and I happened to come across this recipe.  I specifically planned it for a night when I hadn't been at work all day, so I would have time and energy to complete what I thought would be a difficult and time consuming to prepare meal.  Turns out I was completely off base!

I found the recipe at Momma Hen's Kitchen, and followed the recipe pretty closely.  I did use provolone cheese instead of Swiss, since I felt it would be more authentic that way.  I was surprised by the Cajun seasoning on the ingredient list (I used Tony Chachere's), but I decided to trust the recipe, and I am glad I did-delicious!  I served it with salad and garlic bread.  This is a recipe we all enjoyed, and I will definitely make again.  It is something that I would feel comfortable making for my chef husband, as well.

Here is the recipe, as posted on the blog linked above:

Chicken Parmesan

2 cups spaghetti sauce
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 egg
margarine

Heat a few tablespoons of margarine in a pan over medium high heat.  Place egg in a shallow bowl; beat slightly.  Place breadcrumbs, Cajun seasoning, and Parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.  Dip each chicken breast in the egg, then coat well with breadcrumbs on both sides.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown chicken breasts on each side for 6 minutes, or until cooked through.  Add more margarine to pan as needed.

Place browned chicken breasts in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Spoon a few tablespoonfuls of spaghetti sauce over each chicken breast. Top each breast with a Swiss cheese slice.  Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Serve remaining sauce over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment