Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Calamity and Disaster

Today has been a day of calamity and disaster.  I began the day by praying for my hubby and the people of Haiti, as Hurricane Irene was headed that direction.  Then in the early afternoon, we received word that a 5.8 earthquake had hit near Washington DC, and it was felt from Maine down to Alabama, and as far west as Detroit.  I became glued to news coverage.  I began turning my thoughts and attention towards the negatives of calamity and disaster.  It was as if the weight of the world was on my shoulders, and I couldn't shake it, but yet I kept feeding the negative by continuing to get my fill of news coverage.  Anxiety began to build up in me in a big way.  I allowed the circumstances of what was going on in the world to affect me.  Before it was time for my commute home, I was tense all over.

As I got in the car, I turned on my Hillsong CD to change my attention from the negatives of disaster towards God.  He alone is in control of our world and our lives.  When circumstances in the world come, it is so easy to change our focus off of God and onto the circumstances, but if we allow Him to stay at the center of our attention, He will guide us along on our way.

The Hillsong song "Our God Is Greater" comes to mind.  Part of the chorus is:  "Our God is Greater.  Our God is stronger.  God, You are higher than any other.  Our God is healer, awesome in power."  It continues, "And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?  And if our God is with us, then what could stand against us?"  I thank the Lord for the gentle reminder to keep my attention and focus on Him, even in the midst of calamity and disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment