Friday, March 2, 2012

Running Again

I have been using my Gazelle for a couple months now, and it works well-it keeps me focused on making sure I get my 30 minutes of exercise in regardless of the weather outside, or the fact that it might be pitch black out when I have the time to do my workout.  But I miss running.  I miss being outside.  I miss feeling like I have pushed myself to my limits.  

Early one morning this week when I went outside to get in the car to head to work, I was irritated that the weather was so nice out (in the 60's), and I couldn't go for a run. That is an odd feeling-especially lately.  I enjoy running, but when I haven't been running regularly, the thought of heading out for a jog is normally the last thing on my mind.

This morning I slept in, and when I got up, the sun was out, and it was in the 60's again!  It was my day to  go for a run.  It has been a looooooong time since I have been out for a run-months-so I didn't know what to expect from myself.  Would I need to revert back to doing Week 1 of Couch to 5K?  Or would I be able to maintain running for the full 30 minutes?  I was just going to play it by ear.  I started slow-my goal was to finish with walking as little as possible-I was going for running, not for distance.  After 5-10 minutes I just knew that I would not be able to make it the full 30 minutes.  I figured when I got to 14 minutes, I would walk for 1 minute, and then run again for another 14.  But somehow I got distracted-maybe it was the nasty smell of the factory that burned down months ago blowing my direction, or maybe it was my legs itching me like crazy-grrr-I hate this side effect of running!  But around 20 minutes I happened to notice that I was still running without having to walk.  At this point I told myself that I just had to finish out with a non-stop jog.  I slowed down some at this point-I was getting tired-but my goal was just to finish.  And finish I did!  I am so proud of myself for running the full 30 minutes!  If it weren't for the Gazelle keeping me in shape, I know I could not have done it.  I am ready for my next time out-hopefully sooner than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment