Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Gentle Stretch



God has been tugging at my heart a lot lately-telling me it is time to stretch myself.  Just like when I was invited to speak to 170 girls a few weeks back to teach them how to make scarves.  No, it wasn't a spiritual thing-but it was getting me used to being out of my comfort zone.  He has been showing me times in the past when I have said "no" to things because I didn't want to do them for the sheer fact that it makes me uncomfortable.  Remember that movie "Yes Man"?  In it, the main character can't say no to anything-and it takes him places he never thought possible.  What if I lived my life that way?  I think about things that I used to say no to (Pray in front of people?  No way!  I love God and I pray to Him all the time, but not in front of people.  What if I say the wrong thing?)  (Teach a class?  Are you kidding me?  I'll fumble my words and say something accidentally that is contrary to scripture.)  God has surely stretched me over the years, and I have felt Him doing it again-preparing me for it.


Tonight my hubby was at a conference, and so we had a speaker lined up, but she had a family emergency and had to cancel last minute.  We had the worship team do a few extra songs to extend worship longer, and one of our young adults was going to speak briefly.  I asked God what He wanted me to do.  I told Him that whatever it was I didn't want it to be about me, but for it to be about Him.   I only wanted to speak the words that He gave me-depending solely on Him.  The past few weeks since I had attended a chapel service, I have been continuing to meditate on the words the speaker spoke.  That is what God gave me tonight.  Between a couple worship songs, I got the microphone and read the scripture from that message: Isaiah 48:17..."who teaches you what is best for you"...I went on to explain to the students that our view of "best" has to change.  Realistically, broccoli is best for us, as opposed to chocolate.  Even though we would prefer the chocolate-what is best isn't always what we would choose.  We have to realize that God knows what is best for us, and we have to trust Him-despite the negative things we have to deal with in life-we go through situations to help us become better.  All that I spoke was very short-but i didn't feel the nervousness-in fact, I wasn't thinking about what I would say-He was just giving me the words.


Yes, He certainly stretched me tonight.  And I am growing because of it.  And I am exited about what is next-even though I really don't know what that might be. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment