Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Whole Catfish

My hubby loves catfish.  No, let me re-phrase.  My hubby LOVES catfish.  In Central Texas, and in East Texas, there were catfish restaurants that served it up, and served it up well.  It was catfish done right.  In the metroplex, though, we haven't had much luck.  We heard that a new catfish restaurant opened up downtown in the historic hotel, so we figured we would give it a try.


The service wasn't bad, but the waitress was not well trained.  The menu listed an item called "The Whole Catfish", and said to ask your server for details.  When we asked about it, she said, "Well, I think they give you a whole catfish minus the head, along with a fillet or two."  Then she continued, "In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what it is because when I clear the plates off the table there's nothing but bones left on the plate."  Despite the description, my hubby went ahead and ordered it since that was why we were here, anyhow.  It came with fries, hush puppies, and coleslaw.  I ordered the fried shrimp and fried oysters (yes, I know I'm on a diet, but I rarely eat oysters, and they were calling my name), which came with fries, hush puppies, and coleslaw.  I also ordered a side of okra to go with my meal.


The wait for our food took a normal amount of time-I didn't keep watch.  She delivered both of our plates, and said she would be right back with my okra.  While she was gone, I noticed that we had not been given any silverware yet.  She went and got that, explaining that during the lunch shift it is delivered by the hostess, so she forgets during the dinner shift.  The presentation of our plates was great! My hubby's plate especially!  Here is the whole catfish:  (Sorry for the dark picture-the lights were a little low in the restaurant)
And here are my shrimp and oysters.
My hubby said the catfish was overcooked-and it looked that way.  As he bit into the first fillet, the breading just crumbled all over the place.  He said the breading itself didn't taste quite right either.


My food was good-the shrimp was great.  The oysters had a great flavor, but I prefer mine a little crispy-either way, I was glad to have the rare chance to enjoy them.  I would never not go back to a restaurant because of their hush puppies, but I am always disappointed when the hush puppies are in stick form, which they are.  I am very picky when it comes to coleslaw-I want it to taste a certain way, so I didn't have high hopes (although, realistically, I don't have high hopes no matter where I go in terms of coleslaw).  The first bite I took, and it was warm.  Yuck.  Even if I wasn't picky with coleslaw, I would not have eaten that.  The okra was decent, but nothing special.


I love trying new restaurants, and I am glad we went, but, unfortunately, we are still in search of a great catfish restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment