Saturday, February 25, 2012

Scarf Session

A few months back, I wore one of my t-shirt scarves that I had made to work.  One of the ladies I work with, Shirley, plans ministry events for girls fairly frequently, and when she saw my scarf, she asked if I would be interested in teaching a group of teenagers how to make scarves for the craft session at one of the events she had planned.  Being excited about scarves at the time, I said yes.  When I said yes, I wasn't really thinking about the fact that I am not really used to speaking in front of crowds.


Fast forward a while, and reality set in.  To say the least, I was freaking out a little-wondering what I was thinking saying yes!  There would be around 170-180 girls and their sponsors attending this event.  Yikes!  But, once I commit to something, I don't back out-I knew I had to do this.  I tried not to think about it too much.  I planned for the event only thinking about the scarves, and not the crowd, as much as possible.  I decided to go with a different scarf-one that had simpler steps, and that I liked a little better for this session.


Yesterday I went to the thrift store and picked up 10 t-shirts for $1 each to practice on.


I had one of our college students come over to teach her how to make a scarf-that way I could have a helper with me to help me ease my mind.  Hers turned out pretty neat-it was made from a tie-dyed t-shirt.
I prepared a couple hand-outs-one that had the tutorial printed (directly from the blog), and another that showed examples of how to wear the scarves, which was actually a compilation of pictures I found around the web:


The event turned out great!  To say the least, I was incredibly nervous before the event started, but as time went on, I got a little more comfortable.  It kept my mind at ease to have a little help there, and the students were great-receptive to learn how to make the scarves.  I was a little surprised-in each of the sessions (it was divided into 3 separate sessions), I asked how many had made a scarf out of a t-shirt before, and only about 5 in the entire group had.  I guess I had a misconception that people knew how to do this.



All in all, it was a great day-it took me out of my comfort zone for sure-but that is a good thing every once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment