Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras

I had always heard of Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday, but never really knew what it was.  I heard about the beads, drunken parties, girls flashing, and transvestites.  But I had no idea what the celebration was all about.  A few years ago, I learned that it actually had a Christian beginning.  Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday-the first day of Lent for the Catholic church-the season of giving up something (usually food of some sort) in preparation for Easter.  Fat Tuesday is the day before this season, and it is viewed as the last day to indulge before a time of doing without.


I don't typically give up food for the Lent season, but if I did, I can understand wanting to indulge one last steak or something like that.  But I don't understand the over-indulgence.  In Romans 13, the Bible calls us to:


13So behave properly, as people do in the day. Don't go to wild parties or get drunk or be vulgar or indecent. Don't quarrel or be jealous. 14Let the Lord Jesus Christ be as near to you as the clothes you wear. Then you won't try to satisfy your selfish desires.


My prayer for myself is that I not allow any time of indulgence to become a time of over-indulgence.  My prayer is that I not feel like I have to wear a mask to cover up my sinning, and that I have nothing to be ashamed of to feel the need to cover my identity.  This prayer is not just for Mardi Gras, but for all year long.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment