Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day always brings back memories of Bill Murray re-living the same day over and over in none other than Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.  What a great movie-I should see if it is showing on tv tonight.  Even now, just thinking about it, Sonny and Cher singing "I Got You, Babe" is already going through my head.  But, I digress.


Groundhog Day is such an odd "holiday"-if it can even be called that.  A groundhog crawls out of its hole, and if he sees his shadow, there is 6 more weeks of winter.  If there is no shadow to be seen, well, then we are blessed with spring.  And it all takes place in a small town in Pennsylvania-although I am sure today they have a huge influx of people.


Of course, I couldn't get through the day without finding out the ever-important result:  yes, the groundhog did see his shadow.  Six more weeks of winter!  However, do not despair if you are worried about the cold, winter months:  according to the article, the groundhog is only correct 39% of the time.  And, as my husband pointed out on his facebook last night:
So if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow tomorrow does that mean we will have 6 more weeks of 70 degree weather before spring arrives?
It has been unseasonably warm, but until we get through February, it will be hard to convince me that winter is over.  I will just enjoy my nice, warm days as they come, and count myself blessed not to have to be so cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment