Friday, November 18, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

We have a lot of oatmeal, and while I like oatmeal, I don't generally eat it for breakfast, and neither does the rest of my family.  The next best thing to do with it-make oatmeal cookies!  I don't believe in putting raisins in cookies, either.  Yuck!  That just ruins the cookie.  So I found this recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies on foodgawker.com that sounded great.  I planned to make them this morning, but got distracted organizing some things.  Then tonight, we were in the middle of another minor home improvement project, and I remembered that I had left the butter and egg on the counter to soften and get to room temperature, so I gave my youngest son the instructions, and he baked them for me.  I have to say, he did a great job, too!  We will make these again.

Here is the recipe, as posted on the howsweeteats website:

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
makes 15-20 cookies
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
optional: 1- 2 tablespoons milk, if dough is crumbly
Preheat oven to 375.
Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon with the mixer on medium speed. Beat in oats. Mix until dough comes together. Add in 1 tablespoon milk if the dough is crumbly. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls. Set on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh...I must stop reading your blog for the moment. It's making me hungry with the breakfast ring...the jambalaya...the cookies....LOL. Just kidding. All sound delish! :)

    ReplyDelete