Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Bracelet That Wasn't Meant To Be? Round 2

Remember that bracelet I tried to make last week, that just refused to be made?  You know-the one with safety pins and beads?  Well, I made my way to Hobby Lobby and bought clear elastic, more pearls, and some silvery beads (on sale!) this week.  Tonight our family watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid (cute movie, by the way) and I (as I always do) was looking for something to do with my hands while I watched.  That bracelet-I was going to conquer it, and tonight was my night!

I used a clip board to hold the elastic still, so no beads would de-string themselves when I pulled too hard, or wasn't watching.  I didn't get rid of the pearls between the individual safety pins-nope-I was doing it right!  I added beads to each safety pin one by one, and took extra care to ensure the safety pins were placed on the elastic in the right order.  I did everything right!  I tied the ends, and it was so cute!  Yes, you read that correctly- "was".  It was cute.  I loved it.  Past tense.

About the time I tried it on to admire it, I heard a noise.  It sounded like beads falling to the floor.  Grrr!  Apparently my quadruple knot that I tied in the elastic was not tight enough.  This stuff must not care to be tied.  I have decided that this bracelet was just not meant to be.  It was a cute idea, but not for me!  Meanwhile, I do have a bunch of beads to use for some kind of project-just not sure what yet!  As for the elastic-I like it a lot-it strung the beads well without the necessity of the needle.  Perhaps there is just some kind of trick for tying the ends that I need to figure out before I try to use it again.

Hmmm....apparently there is!  As I was cleaning up all the pieces,  I noticed that on the back of the packaging the elastic came in, there was a huge list of instructions explaining how to tie the elastic.  The last step:  GLUE!  Seriously?!?!  I have so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment