Saturday, November 5, 2011

Apple Pancake Rings and Homemade Pancakes

While searching the internet, I came across a recipe for Carla Hall's Fried Apple Pancake Rings-it is basically an apple ring dipped in pancake batter, and then fried on a griddle.  We have an abundance of apples, and so I figured it would be a good way to incorporate some of them into breakfast.  This recipe called for Bisquick, which is something we never buy.  We don't have much storage space in the kitchen, and so I didn't want to buy a box to use just 1 cup of it, and then have it take up precious cabinet space, so I figured I would use regular pancake mix.  But when I went into the kitchen this morning to make breakfast, I noticed that we were out of pancake mix.  Plan B-make pancake mix from scratch.

I found a simple recipe online for pancakes at allrecipes.com.  The batter was very easy to whip up.  It was a little thicker than what I normally make when I use pancake mix, but since it needed to coat apple rings, I figured this would be a good thing.  After following the recipe exactly (I know-shocker!), I added apple pie spice (the apple ring recipe called for pumpkin pie spice, but I saw this first-and hey-I am using apples in the is recipe!), and orange zest (we didn't have any lemons-if there is a next time, I will try to make sure we have lemons on hand).

I changed a few things up on the apple rings recipe that I would probably do different next time:
-The recipe says to use a toothpick to dip the apple into to the pancake batter and set on the griddle.  DO THIS!  The fork I used made the apples break.
-Slice all the apples up before starting to cook.  They cook much faster than pancakes, and you will burn them if you aren't paying close enough attention because you are busy slicing apples.
-In my busy-ness, I made thicker slices of apples than the 1/8 inch called for in the recipe-take the time to slice them thinly.
-I skipped the apple cider syrup because I figured it would take too long, but I am sure it would have made a nice addition to the meal.

Here is the product in process:



I asked the boys if this is a recipe I should make a again, and , as usual, I got mixed reaction.  My youngest said definitely; my oldest said he likes pancakes, but doesn't care so much for apples, so he would have been fine if the apples had been left out.  Maybe if there is a next, I will just chop up the apples finely and mix them in with the batter.  The recipes I use are listed below.

Carla Hall's Fried Apple Pancake Rings

ingredients
  • 1 Cup Bisquick Baking Mix
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • Zest of 1/2 Lemon
  • 2 Medium Apples
  • pared and cored
  • Lemon juice and zest (for apple cider syrup)
  • Apple cider
  • Cinnamon
instructions 
To make hot apple cider syrup: Add apple cider, lemon juice and zest, and cinnamon to a saucepan and bring to a boil. (Use your own comfort/judgement with how much to mix.) Reduce the liquid to a syrup consistency, by half.
Beat baking mix, egg and milk with rotary beater until smooth. Add pumpkin pie spice and lemon zest to batter and mix until incorporated.
Grease griddle.  

Core and cut apples crosswise in 1/8-inch slices. 
Using a toothpick dip slices into batter. Cook on hot griddle until golden brown, turning once. Serve hot with apple cider syrup. 

Good Old Fashioned Pancakes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment