Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Loaf with Streusel

The other night I was in the mood for something sweet.  But not candy.  And not a cold treat.  And with those two stipulations I sufficiently eliminated every sweet thing we had in the house that was ready to eat.  That meant I had 2 choices:  run out to the store, or make something with the stuff we had on hand.  Not wanting to go out at the moment, I dug through the pantry.

I found a box of spice cake mix, and saw a bunch of cans of pumpkin from my pumpkin obsession last fall.  I remembered the Pumpkin Cake Cookies I made during that time, and figured I could do something similar, so I googled "spice cake pumpkin", and found a recipe called Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Streusel.  Surprisingly, I had every ingredient on hand (which was just the spice cake mix, pumpkin, brown sugar, water, and butter).  The batter came together really easily-just mix together the cake mix, pumpkin, and a little water.  After I made that, I realized I was not sure where the muffin pans were, but I figured a loaf cake would be just as good, so I settled for two of those.  And next for the topping.  I mixed together the flour and brown sugar, and then cut in the margarine.  I added some chopped pecans to the mix because I think pecans add something special to any pumpkin dessert, and then sprinkled the mix on top, and baked it.

The results:  Amazing!  Super moist!  The streusel gives the pumpkin flavored cake a little something extra that makes you want to keep going back for more.  And to top off the taste, it couldn't have been simpler to make.  This cake will be in my fall list of items to bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment