Friday, August 31, 2012

Speed Week

This week I have been concentrating on improving my running speed.

Friday I ran a full 5K (3.2 miles)-because if I don't run the full distance at least somewhat regularly, I will never be ready for the 5K.

Sunday morning I did a tempo run:  10 minutes at normal speed, 10 minutes as fast as I could maintain, and then 10 more "normal" minutes.  My pace really improved on this run.

Tuesday I did intervals at the gym.  The track is small-12 times around the track is a mile.  I ran around it twice at normal speed, and once as fast as I possibly could, and then I repeated that process for 2.5 miles.  This was my fastest run yet.  I was so proud of myself for my 12:00 pace (told you I was slow).  I may have overdone it a bit, though.  My face was bright red for about an hour after the run, and I could still feel my heart racing a few hours later.  And then came the major muscle soreness.  No pain, no gain!

Yesterdays run was just bad.  When my alarm clock went off I contemplated not getting up, but forced myself to.  Then I went outside to run and stood at the edge of my driveway not wanting to start.  I finally convinced myself to start running, but just had no energy to put much effort forward-that coupled with achy muscles made for a "run" pace that I could have actually walked faster.

Overall I think it was a great running week-I pushed myself harder than I have before, and I paid for it.  But it will make me stronger in the long run (no pun intended).  Ready for a good, long run tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment