Saturday, December 31, 2011

Waffles

I woke up this morning craving waffles.  Waffles are one of those foods I rarely eat-not because they aren't good, but because of the time involved in making them.  In fact, my typical breakfast consists of either cereal or toast.  So, anything that takes more than 2 minutes to prepare is normally not even considered.  I have occasionally bought frozen waffles-they heat up just as quickly as toast-but they just taste like cardboard, and aren't very filling.


This morning I remembered that I had my aunt's waffle recipe-and time on my hands-so I figured I may as well go for it.  Once I had decided to make the waffles, though, I realized we were out of milk, but we had whipping cream, so it would be a decent substitute.  


First I got out the 2 eggs, and bowls to separate them in.
Next I separated the eggs-I never look forward to this.  I am always afraid I will screw this up.  Thankfully, no problems this time around. 

I put the whites in the mixer, and combined them with the wire whip attachment.
This step takes a while-waiting for the whites to get stiff.  I am glad we have a stand mixer.  I unloaded the dishwasher while the eggs stiffened.
The recipe says to use 2 separate bowls, but we only have one that attaches to the mixer, so I removed the egg whites back to their original bowl.
They look perfect.
Then I added the yolks to the mixer, and beat them until they started to stiffen.
After that I added the oil...
...and whipping cream.
Once that was mixed well I added the flour...
...sugar...
...baking powder, and salt.
I mixed that up with the paddle attachment...
...and then added the egg whites back to the mixer, and mixed slowly.
I turned on the waffle iron when I added the egg whites back to the mixture so it could heat up.
They turned out just as expected-hot, filling, and delicious!  It made 5 waffles this size, so I could easily double the recipe next time.


Here is my aunt's recipe from my recipe card:


Waffles
2 eggs-separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt


Beat egg whites until stiff.  In another bowl, beat egg yolks until thick; continue beating adding milk and vegetable oil.  Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth.  Fold in egg whites.  Cook on hot waffle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment