Sunday, October 16, 2011

Carving Is Not As Hard As It Looks

I've been letterboxing for about 3 years, meaning I have been participating in the search for letterboxes. What I have not done until recently was to plant a letterbox. The main reason for this is because I was intimidated by having to carve a stamp because I am not a very creative person. I knew I could plant a box with a store bought stamp, but I know that some letterboxers don't look for store bought stamps, and I wanted to plant a box that any letterboxer would search for. So I read the tutorials on atlasquest about carving, and asked questions on a letterboxing e-group so that I could be prepared for carving. Everyone said it was simple, but I think it is one of those things you have to experience yourself to understand just how easy it is.

First you need to pick out a shape to carve. Start with something simple. Print out a picture from the internet if you're not creative. Color in the image with pencil.
 Next, transfer the image to an eraser by simply rubbing the leaded area onto the eraser.
Using an exacto knife, carve around the shape, and peel away the extra.

When you're done, it's time to see how the carved image looks on paper.


As you can see, the edges need some additional trimming before the final product is ready.

Certainly not a professional stamp by any means, but much simpler than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment