Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pecan Pie Cobbler

Very rarely do I find myself in the mood to bake.  But yet, all of the sudden, I had the urge. I checked my pinterest page to see what I had pinned recently, and sure enough, I found something that both looked good, and that I happened to have all the ingredients to.  (Well, almost.)
As it turns out, I thought I only needed 1/2 cup of brown sugar, but I actually needed 2 1/2 cups.  Oops!  Rachel strikes again!  The only ingredient variation I made to the recipe was that I used 1 cup of brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups of white sugar since I noticed this error while in the middle of preparation.

The other difficulty I had baking this-our oven decides how hot it wants to heat up to, regardless of what temperature you set it on.  Thankfully, I noticed just how hot the oven was about 15 minutes before it should have been done baking, and I pulled it out of the oven early.  You can see a handful of the pecans on top are a little darker than they should be, but thankfully it was cooked throughout, and still tasted quite good-a bit stickier than I prefer (but keep in mind I don't like caramel because it's too sticky-so just know I can't be trusted in most instances when sticky food is being evaluated).  And perhaps had I used the actual brown sugar as called for this issue may have been eliminated.

The bottom line-yes, I will cook this again-but only for a crowd.  It was much too much food for my family!  Here is the original recipe-originally from the Betty Crocker website:


1
box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
2
1/2 cups light corn syrup
2
1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 1/2
teaspoons vanilla
6
eggs, slightly beaten
2
cups coarsely chopped pecans
Butter-flavor cooking spray
2
cups pecan halves
Vanilla ice cream, if desired

  • 1Heat oven to 425°F. Grease 13x9- inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with shortening or cooking spray. Remove 1 pie crust from pouch; unroll on work surface. Roll into 13x9-inch rectangle; trim sides to fit baking dish. Place crust in dish.
  • 2In large bowl, stir corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with wire whisk. Stir in chopped pecans. Spoon half of filling into pastry-lined dish. Remove second pie crust from pouch; unroll on work surface. Roll into 13x9-inch rectangle; trim sides to fit baking dish. Place crust over filling. Spray crust with cooking spray.
  • 3Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until browned. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
  • 4Carefully spoon remaining filling over baked pastry; arrange pecan halves on top in decorative fashion. Bake 30 minutes longer or until set. Cool 20 minutes on cooling rack. Serve warm cobbler with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment