Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Running for Missions

Several years ago I successfully lost 60 pounds.  I was within 10 pounds of my goal weight.  I had been motivated for 9 months to count calories and exercise 6 days a week.  Some life changes knocked me out of routine, and almost all of those pounds have slowly crept back.

I am unhappy, not only with the way I look, but with the way I feel.  I get winded easily and have trouble keeping up a quick pace for any length of time.  Several times since I have been gaining my weight back, I have attempted to lose weight again, but with no "luck".  (I guess I can't really use the word "luck"-truth is I just haven't stuck with it.)

I think if nothing else over the past few years I have learned that what I need can be summed up by simply one word:  motivation.  And so, I begin my journey again!  I have been eating reduced calories for a couple weeks now, but have not been exercising.  My excuse for this is lack of time.  I think it is a pretty valid excuse, but it is an excuse, nonetheless.  If I want to lose weight then I MUST make time for exercise.

To keep me motivated, I decided to sign up for a 5K Run/Walk at the end of October.  It is for "The Matam Project" whose purpose is to raise funds to build a school in Senegal, Africa, and spread the Word of God in a 0% Christian area.  That makes this not just about me, but about helping with missions, too.  It makes me feel like I HAVE to do this!



I did an internet search for the Couch to 5K program.  It requires only 3 days a week, which is something that I feel like I should be able to force into my schedule to start with.  Today begins my goal to drop 60 pounds.  To keep me accountable, I plan to update this blog somewhat regularly.  Knowing that I am going to have to "report back" somewhere will hopefully help keep me motivated, as well!

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment