Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Inspired By Food, But Sadly No Time!

This is a busy week for our family!  Our church is at Youth Camp.  The hubby and boys are at camp, and I am working during the day, and going there at night.  Summer is always busy like this, and while I wouldn't have it any other way, I sometimes get inspired, but have no outlet for my inspiration due to lack of time.  Today is one of those days.

I checked a few blogs this morning, and in the process ended up at Food Gawker, which is an amazing website-you really must check it out!  I was immediately inspired!

I am not a great cook.  I can follow a recipe, but if the recipe is no good, I can't fix it.  I just have to trust in the recipe.  My husband is a chef, so he cooks most of the meals at our house.  When I do attempt to cook something, he frequently comes and "fixes" it for me-sometimes by my request, and sometimes when he notices that he might have to suffer by eating bad food (haha) although he would never admit that I'm sure.  All joking aside, I am always grateful when he comes and rescues my meals-even if I don't show it!

So this morning I was inspired by seeing all the wonderful things being prepared on Food Gawker, and it is one of those days when I would actually gladly find myself in the kitchen, if I were going to be at home.

Look at these awesome foods I found:

Homemade Ginger Ale (I am from Virginia where we drink Ginger Ale like Texans drink Dr Pepper.  It is one of the things I really miss about back home.)











Vanilla Cardamom French Toast (I love French Toast, but it never turns out the way I want it to.  This picture makes it look absolutely amazing!)


Cold Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Salad (I love the colors in this dish!)
Grilled Butterflied Brown Sugar Chicken (I am not completely sure how I feel about the brown sugar, but it just looks divine!  I cannot remember the last time we had bone-in, skin-on chicken on the grill, but the looks of this just makes my mouth water!)

Summer Squash and Chive Pancakes (My first experience with non-traditional pancakes were corn cakes, and they were amazing!  I think it is time to branch out, and use the last bit of our squash from the garden for the year.) 

Watermelon Hedgehog (Okay-this one I would never attempt on my own!  It would not turn out good!  But I love the creativity!)

Beehive Cake (Again-I would never attempt this on my own.  But it is adorable!  Perhaps I could hint to the hubby that this would be a great birthday cake for me this year?)

Corn on the Cob with Chipotle Mayonnaise (I thought nothing got better than fresh corn on the cob, but this just looks amazing!)


















Old Fashioned Pull Apart Buns (I absolutely love homemade bread, although it has been years since I have made any.  I'll have to keep this recipe handy for when the weather starts coling off a bit.)
Maybe sometime when life slows down a little, I will look back at todays blog and get re-inspired to try a few of these dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment