Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pickles!

We have so many cucumbers growing!  I am the only person in the family that likes cucumbers, but these just don't taste quite...good.  But I don't want to waste them, so I guess it is pickle time!  I don't care for dills (okay, that is a bit of an understatement-I despise dills), so I am concentrating on sweets and bread & butters.

Last weekend, I found a recipe here for refrigerator bread and butter pickles.  It was very simple-I just cooked the vinegar, sugar, and a few other ingredients to get the sugar to dissolve, and then covered my sliced cucumbers (sliced with a machine-not by hand) with the liquid, and refrigerated them for 24 hours.  Voila!  They were ready!  I thought they were delicious, but my family said they still tasted like cucumbers. I am hoping that in a couple weeks when they have had more time to meld together, the cucumber taste will have disappeared.
 

In the meantime, I have more cucumbers growing, and don't want to use the same recipe if no one but me likes them.  So I found another recipe today here that is for microwave bread and butter pickles.  I was getting ready to ignore the recipe because I kind of figured "who makes pickles in the microwave?", but then I read the "reviews" of the pickles below the recipe.  So many people have commented on how great they tasted, that I figured, "why not give it a try?  It's just one cucumber."  I made them this morning-this time slicing the cucumber long ways, and combining all ingredients in the microwave for 9 minutes before placing the concoction in a jar and in the fridge.  As soon as they are cooled they will be ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment